Hi, I am Kiru 👋 an indie hacker, a problem solver and vim-lover. I build projects to make the life of others and mine easier.

This page is intended to collect all my projects and some thoughts.

Mathle: Lessons Learned

25.01.2021

I spent a few hours coding Mathle, which is a mathy version of Wordle. The idea came after I came across Primel (find a 5-digit prime number in 6 guesses) and struggled to solve it.

The whole page is implemented with React (specifically Next.js). Here are a few lessons I learned about developing a simple game from idea on the paper to actual page and the launch:

  1. TypeScript makes it easier to abstract certain parts with types. For example, I have an enum Color to represent the cell color, or a type RowSolution to represent the actual solution. Use types where useful, otherwise ignore it (remember, the goal is to have a working prototype)
  2. TypeScript type warnings with React are annoying. Fall back to @ts-ignore. I was using a mix of typed functional components and untyped functions.
  3. Ignore the user interface and focus on a bug-free proof of concept. I spent too much time making everything pretty, but spend another few hours fixing and introducing more bugs:
  4. If it is easier to do it by hand, then don't automate. For now, I generate a puzzle once a day and re-publish the whole project. I did not find an easy way (since the whole page is on the client-side) to provide the solution to the puzzle. The next task is to automate this process.
  5. Check on HackerNews if anyone launched a similar project: When I submitted my project to HN, there were three other projects related to Wordle 🤦.
  6. Take more screenshots and document the process better next time. That way this article would contain more pictures.
  7. It is possible to "hack" something workable in 5h and spend another 6h fixing all the bugs.
  8. Don't buy a domain for each project. Actually, this is something obvious for everyone, but I am a domain-buyer-and-never-user. Too many domains expired without any associated projects being born, so I decided to publish this project as a subdomain. That saves me money and reduces the struggle of setting it up each time.
Random article: